Votes: 0Posted On: Oct 12, 2017 09:53:27
We will help you in configuring Nagios so that you can use it to monitor your MySQL server. Before we begin, there are a few prerequisites that you have to fulfill. We will create commands and services that will perform different tasks.
1. Operating System - CentOS 7
2. Nagios Core(Latest stable version) - Installed and configured. Please visit the following link to install Nagios Core and Nagios Plugins on CentOS 7.
3. Nagios Plugins should be installed.
4. MySQL server(MariaDB) should be installed on your server.
MySQL User Creation
1. Log in to your MySQL server with the following command.
-u root -p
2. Type in the following commands.
mysql> CREATE USER 'nagios'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mercury';
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'nagios'@'localhost';
mysql> CREATE USER 'nagios'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mercury';
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'nagios'@'%';
mysql> flush privileges;
These commands create a user "nagios" that can be used by local host as well as remotely. We have also granted all privileges to the user.
MySQL Plugin Installation
1. Run the following command to download the "check_mysql_health-2.2.2.tar.gz" package.
2. Extract the downloaded package.
tar -zxvf check_mysql_health-2.2.2.tar.gz
3. Change into the check_mysql_health-2.2.2 directory.
4. Run the following commands to configure and install the plugin.
Nagios Configuration for MySQL Monitoring
1. Open the Nagios configuration file.
Add following line to the file.
2. "check_mysql_health" Command Definition
The following file contains all the commands pertaining to Nagios. Open it in any text editor of your choice("vi" in this case).
Edit the file and add the "check_mysql_health" command block.
command_line $USER1$/check_mysql_health -H $ARG1$ --username $ARG2$ --password $ARG3$ --port $ARG4$ --mode $ARG5$
3. "check_mysql_health" Service Definition
# Open the "mysqlmonitoring.cfg" file we had created earlier using the "vi" editor.
# Add the following service blocks of Connection-time, io thread and sql thread. This will perform different tasks.
service_description MySQL connection-time
service_description MySQL slave-io-running
service_description MySQL slave-sql-running
4. Restart the Nagios server.
You can configure other MySQL services as well whose information can be found on the website.